Facts, Personal Opinion & Suggestion to encourage Conversation, Debate & Public Awareness. It's not what you say but how you choose to say it that determines whether you are heard.
not what you say but how you choose to say it that determines whether you are heard

Thursday, March 21, 2013

One Of The Hundreds...

Close to three years ago I began my search to find a rescue dog that I could adopt. Already with a senior beagle named Maple I now had the yard & home that could easily accommodate a new member to our family. I was Hell bent on finding a Husky as I'd always dreamed of having one. Searching the Internet I happened upon a listing for what was referred to as a 'Labrador Husky' up for adoption through Litters 'n' Critters Animal Rescue Society in Halifax Nova Scotia. He was absolutely precious & his name was Polar...(1st picture is Polar when he was Adopted)


I remember filling out the Adoption Application hoping it would reach the Rescue in time, that I would be the one who would be fortunate enough to give him a forever home. It wasn't long after sending the application it that I received an email letting me know I could go meet Polar & take him home! He was so small & fluffy, he was the cutest little pup I'd ever laid eyes on. Talking to Shelley (President of Litters 'n' Critters) she had offered me his brief background & that he had two male siblings that had already been adopted out in the Halifax area. I decided to keep Polar's given name to honour those who had rescued him & cared enough to send him to Nova Scotia to find a new life.


Knowing that Polar was a rescue, that he was found along with his siblings in Labrador trying to feed off of their deceased mother only deepened my love for him. I was going to care for & protect this pup with aggressive force. I had already determined in my mind the consequence should anyone dare try to harm him. Crazy? Perhaps, but for those who have adopted a rescue animal it's a normal feeling of protection.


It was not difficult to adore this little boy not only was he affectionate but he was very playful. As he grew he went through a very awkward phase where he appeared to be all ears. Lovingly referred to as Yoda for a few months it was amazing to see how much he'd changed in appearance in a matter of weeks. He was growing like a weed & went everywhere with us; the beach, the park, everywhere! (2nd Picture is Polar at 4 months of age) (3rd Picture is Polar at 1 year of age)


Digging deeper into what a 'Labrador Husky' truly was could not have been more interesting. Polar was a rare breed of Husky indigenous to Labrador Canada first brought here by the Thule people, a sled dog bred at different times in history with wolves in the area. These dogs were the supreme utility Husky, strong & versatile used to -40 temperatures. Knowing all of this helps me understand the specific needs and temperament of Polar as when he is resting he does not like to be disturbed & can be quite a 'Grumpy Gus.' (4th Picture is Polar resting in one of his favourite positions)


An active, loved member of my Family this little orphaned Husky could have had a far different life had it not been for those who cared enough to Rescue him. To the selfless animal rescue volunteers in Labrador who do so much with so little Polar is literally one of the hundreds that have made their way to Nova Scotia to find their forever homes. (5th Picture is a recent one of Polar)

The Volunteers at the Happy Valley Goose Bay SPCA in Labrador:
Lee Hill
Catherine Montague Young
Monica Surina
Bonnie Learning

Also volunteering in Labrador for Animal Rescue Independantly:
Wendy Porter Kean
Constable Jade Kean Wood RCMP Labrador
Constable Trevor Wood RCMP Labrador

The Volunteers at Litters 'n' Critters Animal Rescue Society Halifax Nova Scotia:
Shelley Cunningham
Brenda Hall-Gagne
Russ Barkhouse
Jennifer Durkee Smith

Volunteers in Animal Rescue in Newfoundland:
Yvette Parsons Butt


Volunteering alongside these amazing people I have found no greater reward worth my time, effort & affection. Setting the highest example for the rest of us to try to achieve in all their efforts to save the stray, abandoned, neglected & often abused animals in Newfoundland Labrador & Nova Scotia I could not consider myself more honoured to be in their company.

L.A. Bowden

www.littersncritters.com

www.hvgbspca.com











1 comment:

  1. what a sweet little speckle-nose he was, and how magnificent he is now. this is a heart warming story, and yes, i understand exactly what you mean by anyone hurting him. this is a fierce love we have

    ReplyDelete